We’re growing fast! Our culture celebrates and supports the differences that make each of us unique. It’s how we build best in class text marketing platform... and career growth for you.
Director of Engineering
Who We Are:
EZ Texting is the #1 text communications technology company delivering fast, easy, and effective solutions for businesses across a wide variety of industries. Dreamers first, we are at the forefront of revolutionizing the way businesses communicate with their customers and believe personal relationships can transform an organization’s ability to grow.
Our employees are our greatest strength. We’re expanding quickly and scaling our teams to help accelerate growth while remaining committed to hiring exceptional, values-aligned talent. We have consistently been rated a Top 100 workplace and are committed to being a best-in-class employer for remote work — with benefits to match!
We are open to hiring in CA, NY, TX, OR, WA, GA, PA, FL & TN, but we welcome top applicants nationwide as we expand our operating boundaries.
We are looking for an experienced and deeply technical Director of Engineering to lead various multidisciplinary engineering teams. In this role, you will own our Product Engineering teams working on our customer-facing initiatives. You will partner with executive leadership, department heads, and other stakeholders to drive strategic cross-functional projects. You will establish your technology vision and collaborate closely with product leadership to execute on the roadmap. As an empathetic leader, you will grow your team and managers, increase the maturity of our processes, and continuously work on improving the culture.
- Lead strategy, execution, and outcomes of the Product Engineering teams.
- You will be responsible for leading a globally distributed team and leveraging your technical & leadership expertise and organizational context to develop their skills, create efficiencies, and enable productive cross-functional partnerships.
- Dive deep with your teams on architectural decisions, framework selection, and scalability topics.
- Participate in system design & code reviews for both our services infrastructure and the frontend.
- Lead, sometimes hands-on, new technical initiatives.
- Hands-on prototyping
- SLIs, SLOs, SLAs of services and solutions owned by Product Engineering
- Coach your direct reports (Engineering Managers or Leads) into Operational and Engineering excellence
- You will collaborate and drive cross-functional teams working towards strategic business goals, partnering with People, Customer Support, Marketing, Product, Finance, and other departments.
- Develop organizational-level goals, and establish the technical and organizational roadmap for your engineering teams in partnership with Product Managers.
- Collaborate with and influence your partners within the Engineering organization: Platform Engineering, SRE, Agile, and Corporate IT.
- Build a smooth running execution machine, focusing on outcomes and following agile principles
- Insist on high standards and continuous improvement in all direct teams and stakeholders
- Ensure we are focused on the right goals, utilizing appropriate tools and processes
- BS/BA in a technical field such as Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 8+ years of management experience, including managing managers
- 2+ years of managing managers
- 8+ years of individual contributions in a technical discipline such as Software Engineering
- Experience driving complex projects with cross-functional dependencies
- Track record of building, growing, and mentoring high performing teams
- Track record of delivery in rapidly changing, highly collaborative, multi-stakeholder environments.
- Experience writing code and architecting systems for a high-scale environment
- Experience with git (github or gitlab)
- Experience in a JVM stack
- Experience in a cloud computing environment
- Experience with an RDBMS such as MySQL or Postgres
- Experience with NoSQL/KV stores.
- Deep understanding and hands-on experience with system concepts such as client-server and p2p architectures, latency & throughput, caching, KV stores, hashing, load balancing, sharding, rate limiting, pubsub, microservices, observability, replication, and high availability.
- Comfortable in a Linux or UNIX environment on the command line
- Ability to bring clarity into ambiguous situations by following best practices like iterative development, prototyping, research, A/B testing, and diving deep into a problem space
- High sense of ownership
- Excellent documentation, organization, and communication skills
- Passion for mentoring, coaching, and building a collaborative and inclusive work environment
- Experience with Elasticsearch
- Experience with Google Cloud
- Experience with Kubernetes/GKE
- Experience with Spring Boot
- Experience with CloudSQL
- Experience with DataFlow
- Experience with Hazelcast
- Experience with Google Cloud Functions
- Experience with service meshes
- 100% paid medical, vision, dental, and life insurance for self (70% generous coverage for families)
- Stock options
- 401(k) plan
- Flexible PTO policy
- Paid parental leave
- Annual personalized learning reimbursement
- Quarterly wellness reimbursement
Remote-work optimization benefits including:
- Monthly internet reimbursement
- Monthly flexible remote work stipend, including DoorDash subscription
- Annual home office enhancement stipend
- Direct-billing ordering for supplies
EZ Texting is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.