6 Best Website Builders for Small Businesses
Create a polished and professional website for your business with one of these top website builders.
When you’re starting a business — even if it’s a physical retail space — don’t overlook your online presence. One of the first things a person will do when they hear about your business is search for your business online. Surely you’ve done it
We’ve put together a list of the best website builders for small businesses so that you can give your business a great wow-factor foundation. Here are a few features we think you can’t ignore:
- Website templates: How many? Are they customizable?
- User-friendliness: Are the website templates easy to create? Is the platform easy to navigate? Is there adequate customer support as well as how-tos and guides?
- SEO: Are there SEO tools and features included?
- Marketing: What kind of marketing solutions do they offer?
- Pricing & plans: Is there a free plan available? How do the paid plans differ?
- Website types: Is there an e-commerce plan available, or is the website builder better for businesses that aren’t selling products?
Each website builder we cover has a pros and cons list to help you determine which features are included and which are lacking. Let’s get started.
Wix is on our list of the best small business website builders because of its vast number of template options, ease of use, and integrated features. This website builder is perfect for the tech novice, providing a simple drag-and-drop tool to allow full customization of your template. However, those who don’t have time to customize can use Wix ADI (Artificial Design Intelligence) to create a website based on your business needs.
It's also one of the best website builders for your online store for all of the reasons we mention here, plus features like Wix Payments, Wix Bookings, and Wix Retail POS.
G2 rating: 4.2/5
Why You’ll Like Wix
- Templates: More than 800 customizable templates. Just drag and drop preferred elements to make it your own.
- Special features: Wix Logo Maker (free with some plans), Free SSL certificate, WixAnalytics (free with some plans), premium plans remove ads from the website, and you get a custom domain free for the first year.
- SEO: All Wix websites provide a strong SEO foundation, like instant Google indexing, default meta tags, a URL redirect manager, and Google Search Console integration.
- User-friendly: 24/7 customer care with all plans, but priority customer care with VIP plans. Access helpful video guides and lessons on the site.
- App integration: Find all the apps you need on the Wix App Market.
- Wix Bookings: Appointment scheduling software is seamlessly integrated with the Business and eCommerce Plans.
- Shipping: Dropshipping and print-on-demand capabilities. You can set rules for shipping, delivery, or pickup.
- Wix dashboard: Manage sales and orders through the Wix dashboard. Seamlessly integrate other sales channels (Amazon, eBay, Facebook, etc.) on your Wix dashboard.
- Wix Retail POS: This is a great benefit for brick-and-mortar stores that haven’t set up a POS yet.
Why You May Not Like Wix
- Email marketing isn’t included: Wix Ascend allows you to schedule email campaigns, use marketing tools, and connect to social. However, this feature is included in a separate subscription from its website-building plans — a big downside for businesses selling products or services.
- Can’t change template: You need to be certain of your template and customization choices before publishing because you can’t edit it later to accommodate a new design or business needs.
- Wix domain with free plan: While Wix offers a free website builder, it does come with a Wix domain.
- Payment processing fee: 2.9% + 30 cents per online transaction for every eCommerce plan; however, this rate is standard.
From modern, stylish website templates to robust SEO tools, Squarespace is a top contender as one of the best website builders for small businesses. It may not be the most intuitive site builder, but it might be the most design-focused.
The less expensive plan is perfect for artists, writers, photographers, and designers because it provides polished, gallery-style websites.
G2 rating: 4.4/5
Why You’ll Like Squarespace
- Templates: It’s no secret that Squarespace is known for its beautiful, design-focused templates. However, there are only about 100 templates to choose from, but they are customizable to an extent.
- Email marketing: You can build mailing lists and create draft campaigns for free with your plan. But for a more robust email marketing solution that includes more than 500 emails per month, email automation, and other advanced marketing tools, choose an Email Campaigns paid plan.
- User-friendly: If you need help, access Squarespace’s videos and guides or sign up for a webinar with an expert. Enjoy 24/7 online support through email and Twitter, or live chat customer support.
- Product importing: Easily import products using a .csv or from Shopify, Big Cartel, or Etsy.
- SEO: All Squarespace websites are built for indexing by search engines — no matter which plan you choose.
- Special features: Get a free custom domain name for the first year of your website plan. Use the web builder’s free logo design tool.
- Payment processing fee: While there is a 3% payment processing fee for online transactions for the Business plan, the fee is waived for higher-tiered plans.
- Retail POS: Squarespace has partnered with Square to provide POS integration with your physical retail store operations.
Why You May Not Like Squarespace
- Appointment scheduling is not free: To incorporate scheduling software on your website, you’ll need to add a Squarespace Scheduling plan, starting at $14.99/month.
- No free website builder: While you can enjoy a 14-day trial, there isn’t a free version for a Squarespace website.
- Site analytics only available to higher-tier plans: If you choose the Personal Plan, you don’t get website analytics.
- Can’t change template: Before publishing, make sure your template is just as you want it. You can’t edit it after it’s live.
GoDaddy is frequently highlighted for its ease of use and quick website-building speed. If you need a website created and published quickly, GoDaddy may be for you.
G2 rating: 3.9/5
Why You’ll Like GoDaddy
- Free plan: There is a free plan available that includes site analytics and 24/7 customer support, but it will display a GoDaddy domain.
- Payment processing: GoDaddy has a lower payment processing rate than some other small business website builders: 2.3% + 30 cent fee for every online transaction — no matter your paid plan.
- Appointment scheduling: This feature is available for all paid plans. Get more robust booking features with higher-tiered plans.
- Retail POS system: For brick-and-mortar stores, integrate with the GoDaddy POS system and Payments Hub and use the sales tracking dashboard across channels.
- Email marketing: This feature is included in all paid plans.
- Switch templates: Unlike other website builders, GoDaddy lets you switch templates at any time
- E-commerce options: GoDaddy has two e-commerce plans.
- Special features: Free logo design, integration with Google Analytics, and professional email address free for one year.
- Customer support: Access GoDaddy guides, how-to videos, and a 24/7 call center.
Why You May Not Like GoDaddy
- Templates: GoDaddy has simpler templates than other website builders and only about 100 to choose from. They also aren’t as customizable as other builders’ templates.
- SEO: SEO tools are only available for higher-tiered plans: Premium, Commerce, and Commerce Plus.
- Renewal price: After your first plan year, renewal prices may increase up to 33%, so you’ll need to budget well past your first contract term.
Square first began as a POS system, and now it has partnered with Weebly to provide a small business website builder. Square Online is great for business owners already set up with Square or who have a physical storefront and are adding online merchandise.
All its plans are intended for e-commerce businesses, including the free plan, but the SEO tools and template customization are lacking.
G2 rating: 4.2/5
Why You’ll Like Square Online
- Retail POS: Sync Square Online with Square POS for brick-and-mortar stores.
- Square Photo Studio: This app lets you take photos of your products and sync them to your website.
- Shipping: Create and print shipping labels from the Square dashboard. Third-party shipping partners are enabled.
- Free plan: Square’s free plan lets you sell on your website, which isn’t the case for many other website builders. This is a huge benefit for small businesses just getting started.
- Marketing: All plans (even the free one) integrate with Instagram, Facebook, and Google Listing shopping.
Why You May Not Like Square Online
- Templates: Fewer template options and not as customizable.
- SEO: While SEO tools are available, the sites aren’t equipped with automated SEO features. There are fewer SEO help guides, so you may need to read up on our best SEO tips for small business, which can help set your website on the right path.
- Payment processing: Square Online charges 2.9% + 30 cents per online transaction, but its Premium Plan has a lower transaction fee of 2.6% + 30 cents.
Even if you’ve never looked into website building before now, chances are that you’ve likely heard of Shopify. It’s a powerhouse in the e-commerce world for small and mid-sized businesses. Because it’s set up specifically for e-commerce, Shopify is ideal for companies selling products either online or in a store (or both). It offers powerful features for its most premium plan. But we should note this website builder isn’t as well-suited for small businesses that don’t sell products.
G2 rating: 4.3/5
Why You’ll Like Shopify
- Templates: Fully customizable templates, and 10 are free.
- Retail POS: Integrate seamlessly with Shopify POS for your physical store.
- Shopify dashboard: View all sales, orders, and audience metrics in one place.
- SEO: Enjoy built-in SEO features. If you ever have questions about good SEO tactics, just read Shopify’s helpful SEO guides.
- Shipping: Easy shipping, with more discounts in higher payment plan tiers.
- Payment processing: Shopify institutes the standard 2.9% + 30 cent payment processing fee for its Basic Plan, but that fee decreases with each higher-tiered plan. The Advanced Plan has a 2.4% + 30 cent fee.
- User-friendly: Enjoy 24/7 email and chat support.
- Selling features: Shopify makes it easy to promote and sell products on multiple sales channels, no matter your plan.
- Free logo design: Use Shopify’s free logo creation tool, Hatchful.
Why You May Not Like Shopify
- Templates: Fewer templates to choose from, and most of them are paid themes.
- No free plan: Shopify doesn’t offer a free plan, but each plan has a 14-day trial.
- Plan pricing: Shopify has more expensive plans than other website builders on this list. However, they offer a 50% discount for the first year of your subscription.
- Shopify domain name: You won’t be able to get a free custom domain name with any Shopify plan. Many other website builders include this for free for the first year.
When you need a functional, professional-looking website, Jimdo could be your match made in website-building heaven. While it doesn’t have some of the bells and whistles that other small business website builders have, Jimdo’s websites do prioritize form and function and feature both a business website and an online store option. However, the Jimdo website notes that their online store plans are ideal for up to 100 products, so they may be limiting for some business owners.
G2 rating: 4.1/5
Why You’ll Like Jimdo
- Templates: Flexible layouts, around 100 templates, and you can make changes to your website configuration anytime. Upload your own photos or choose from Jimdo’s image database.
- Free plan: There is the option to build a free Jimdo website under the Play Plan, but many of the features you’ll want and need for your business won’t be accessible unless you get a paid plan.
- Special features: The paid plans are ad-free and include website statistics. All of the plans include a free logo creator.
- Payment processing fees: There are no transaction fees for online store payments.
- SEO: Advanced SEO tools and features with all paid plans.
- Marketing: Connect to Instagram, Facebook, and Google profiles.
- Free custom domain name: This is only available during the first year.
- User-friendly: Access a well-organized help center with guides and how-tos.
Why You May Not Like Jimdo
- Customer support: The level of customer support depends on the pricing plan: The free website plan includes no customer support.
- SEO tools not available for Play Plan: Jimdo’s free plan does not include advanced SEO tools. Not to worry, though — EZ Texting has put together a guide on the best SEO tools for small business.
Choosing the best website builder for your small business should depend on the type of business you run, how quickly you can learn template building on each platform, and what your future business needs are. Having a polished and professional website for your customers can help strengthen and grow your business.
See other resources related to: