When reviewing lists of SMS marketing statistics - or indeed any lists of statistics - it is not unreasonable to think of the phrase popularized by Mark Twain in the early twentieth century - “There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.”
However, inasmuch as it is true that many statistics can be manipulated to suit the cause they represent, the volume of statistics supporting the effectiveness of SMS text marketing is overwhelming. Indeed, many of the SMS text marketing statistics below are themselves supported by our own case studies.
SMS text marketing is proven to play a vital role in any mobile marketing strategy. Not only does it have a broader reach than any other form of direct marketing, it uses an immediate and intimate channel of communication that people prefer in order to get your message heard.
The Most Important Text Marketing Statistics to Know
The most important text marketing statistics to know are that 92% of the U.S. population owns a mobile device capable of receiving SMS messages and that 68% of the U.S. population owns a smartphone. Notably, 98% of the 18-29 age bracket owns a mobile device capable of receiving an SMS message .
Although the percentage of the population owning a smartphone is increasing each year, any mobile marketing campaign that ignores SMS text marketing also currently ignores 24% of the population. That is the equivalent of 76 million potential customers. It is also relevant that:
- Among the 18-34 year-old age bracket, text is the preferred channel for notifications from businesses. 
- 83% of millennials open SMS messages within 90 seconds of receiving them. 
- 75% of millennials prefer SMS communications for deliveries, promotions and surveys. 
- 31% of consumers respond to SMS surveys, with an average response time of less than six minutes. 
- Consumers are more likely to open text messages before any other form of mobile communication. 
More SMS Marketing Statistics about Immediacy and Intimacy
In addition to its broader reach and the fact that it is the preferred channel of communication for consumers to receive business notifications, SMS text marketing benefits from an immediacy and intimacy not enjoyed by other forms of direct marketing. One has only to hear the ringtone of an incoming text message to reach for the mobile phone and see who’s reaching out.
Back in 2007, Morgan Stanley reported that 91% of Americans keep their mobile devices within arm´s length at all times . This statistic was reinforced in a 2015 study conducted by the Pew Research Center  that concluded cellphones and smartphones have become a mainstay in the lives of many Americans. Other SMS marketing statistics regarding immediacy and intimacy include:
- 62% of cellphone users check their devices for new messages immediately after waking up. 
- 79% of mobile phone users check for new messages within 15 minutes of waking up. 
- 48% of women check that they have their cellphone with them before leaving home. Only 26% check that they have their purse. 
- The average response time for a legitimate email is about 90 minutes, compared to 90 seconds for a text message. 
Converting Text Marketing Statistics into Sales
As text marketing has developed, the ways in which businesses attract customers to their goods and services has also developed. Many more retail businesses are using in-store, on-demand coupons to drive sales from customers already on their premises, while other forms of SMS marketing have become more innovative.
SMS marketing has been found to have a significant positive impact on brand awareness , and retailers can take advantage of this by communicating with customers for non-commercial purposes such as birthdays. One recent survey found that 60% of respondents appreciated receiving non-commercial messages . More sales-related text marketing statistics include:
- In-store on-demand coupons see a redemption rate of 70% - 80%. 
- Out-of-store on-demand coupons have a redemption rate of 30% -50% and drive customers to your business. 
- SMS produces engagement rates six to eight times higher than retailers normally achieve via email marketing. 
- 48% of Internet consumers said they would prefer to receive their loyalty-related messages via SMS. 
Find Out More about SMS Marketing from EZ Texting
If our SMS marketing statistics have inspired you to find out more about SMS marketing, do not hesitate to contact our team of Client Success Managers. Our team will be happy to answer any questions you may have about text message marketing and, if you feel it will be of benefit to your business, guide you through the process of setting up your free EZ Texting account.
As mentioned at the beginning of this article, statistics can be manipulated to suit the cause they represent. We believe that, once you have tried SMS Marketing, you will understand why there exists such a volume of statistics supporting the effectiveness of SMS text marketing and agree that it is indeed a vital part of any mobile marketing strategy.
1Pew Research Center - Technology Device Ownership
2OpenMarket Millennial Datasheet
3OpenMarket Millennial Datasheet
4Mobile Marketing Watch
5Business.com Mobile Marketing
7Hubspot - Mobile Marketing Statistics
8Pew Research Center - Mobile Etiquette Study
14SDL - Marketing Content Study
15Mobile Marketing Watch
16Mobile Marketing Watch
17Mobile Commerce Daily