Text Marketing: 8 Texting Strategies That Crush It Every Time
If you haven't already invested in the power of text message marketing for your enterprise, small business or organization, you could be missing out on a valuable opportunity to engage prospects and customers. The fact is, the savviest businesses have been using text message marketing for years. Why? Texting is a fantastic way to send simple sales reminders, automated notifications, emergency alerts, and more.
There's no easier way to instantly connect with your target audience. In fact, 90% of text messages are opened within the first three minutes of receipt. With the right text message service provider in place, you can upload contacts and send your first text message in just a few quick minutes — it's that easy!
Overview: What is Text Marketing?
- Short Message Service (SMS): SMS is the umbrella term covering the functions and features of a text messaging platform and any additional offerings delivered by the service provider. SMS supports alphanumeric messages of 160 characters or less. In most cases, SMS is synonymous with texting.
- Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS): MMS is a standard way to send multimedia content including images, video, and audio. MMS messages can contain up to 500kb of data or enough for a 30-second audio or video file. The number of images users can attach to an MMS message is dependent on the file size. MMS messages also allow users to send messages up to 1,600 characters. Additionally, files sent via MMS may count against both the sender's and recipient's monthly data limits.
EZ Texting makes it super easy to send both SMS and MMS messages. From small restaurants to high-profile corporate powerhouses, businesses are sending thousands of SMS and MMS messages every single day. And without a high-powered text message marketing in place, your business might get left in the dust.
7 Text Marketing Strategies That Actually Work
1. Personalize Text Marketing Messages:
A recent report indicated that people are 29% more likely to respond to personalized messages. There are a few ways that you can add some personalization into your text marketing activities: Include Personalization Tokens:
Most major text message marketing service providers make it easy to add personalization tokens to text marketing messages and campaigns. Adding personalization tokens to text messages is an easy way to make your customers feel valued. Which text message are you more likely to act upon — one that's addressed to you by name or one that's not?
Monitor Customer Activity:
Try keeping an eye on customer activity including spending habits, conversions, new vs. returning visitor, and more. The best text message marketing service providers allow you to effortlessly segment and organize contacts based on opt-in date, purchase history, engagement, and much more.
Example: Hello Theodore M. We noticed that you purchased a sweater from us on 10/29/18. Do you have any questions or concerns about the product? Reply ‘YES’ to speak with a customer service agent.
2. Thank Customers for Their Loyalty:
In a highly competitive marketplace, when customers interact with your business, they need to feel like they’re part of something more personal and interactive. After all, studies show that it costs five times as much to land new customers than it does to keep the ones you already have. A text message is a great way to thank customers for their brand loyalty. For example, after three or more purchases, you might send a customer a simple “thank you” message.
Another way to thank customers for their loyalty is to provide value-adding resources and access. Show your customers that you care by providing access to complementary tools or resources. For example, if you’re a clothing retailer, after every purchase, supply customers with washing and handling guidelines via text message.
Example: Hello Jenny. We noticed that you purchased a sweater from us on 10/29/18. Here’s a quick and easy guide to washing and handling: [LINK].
3. Deploy Special Text Marketing Offers and Coupons:
For many businesses, text marketing is the most effective way to distribute special offers, sales coupons, and more. In fact, recent estimates indicate that in-store and on-demand coupons see a redemption rate of 70-80% when distributed via text message. Moreover, out-of-store and on-demand coupons see a redemption rate of 30-50%. The most effective text messages make it simple and easy for contacts to redeem offers or coupons.
Example: Hello Tom. Don’t forget to take advantage of our seasonal sweater sale! We’re offering 20% off on all sweaters. Use code ‘SWEATERSALE’ at checkout: [LINK].
4. Promote Brick-and-Mortar Events and Sales
There’s no better way to drive prospects and customers to your brick-and-mortar store than text message marketing. If your business is struggling to acquire foot traffic, text messaging might be a viable solution. Advertise all in-store events, coupons, and more via text message. Give your text message marketing contacts a reason to visit your store.
Example: Hello Sampson. We’re hosting a special make-your-own sweater event on 10/29/18, 8:00 AM at 123 James St. To RSVP, please visit: [LINK]
5. Provide Customer Service and Support:
The best marketers know that text message is an effective customer support channel. In fact, recent estimates indicate that texting can reduce the cost of customer service calls from $20 to pennies. More business and organizational leaders employ text messaging to drive more engaging and intuitive customer support communications. With text messaging, contacts know that questions, concerns or issues will be resolved in minutes!
EZ Chat is a tool that allows customers and contacts to experience personalized, private, and one-to-one conversations using text messaging. EZ Chat uses a standard 10-digit number. EZ Chat can be used via any device with internet access. Whether it’s a mobile phone, tablet or computer, communicating with customers is just a few clicks away.
Additionally, text-to-landline features allow businesses to to reply to text messages on an existing business phone number, even if it’s a landline. In fact, chances are that customers and prospects are already texting your landline and you’re missing their important messages!
Example: Hello Jennifer. Do you have any questions about your new sweater? Reply ‘YES’ to speak with a customer support representative.
6. Send Appointment or Billing Reminders:
Use text messaging to deploy friendly appointment or billing reminders. Let’s face it — missing an important appointment or deadline happens time and time again. Most text message service providers make it easy to schedule personalized, timely reminders to your contacts. Reduce the number of no-shows and avoid the headaches of missed deadlines and lost revenue with automated appointment reminders. When phone calls and emails go unnoticed, text messaging provides a direct line to contacts and customers.
Example: Hello Thomas. Reminder: You have an upcoming sweater fitting scheduled for 10/29/18. To confirm, please visit: [LINK].
7. Incorporate a Call-to-Action:
Finally, incorporate a call-to-action in a text marketing communications. The best text messaging campaigns provide recipients with the next step. For example, if you’re sending an appointment reminder, show contacts where to RSVP. If you’re sending a special sales promotion, provide a link to your online shopping cart. Including a call-to-action in all text messages inspires recipients to take action. Don’t be afraid to exercise a bit of creativity when it comes to deploying text marketing calls-to-action — use images or videos! Additionally, all call-to-actions should offer immediate value. Put sales call-to-actions on receipts to entice customers into repeat visits.
3 Text Marketing Examples
- UAS Properties: With more than 800 units in Chicago, UAS Properties needed a way to collect rent payment from tenants. Before investing in text marketing, UAS Properties had to make personal phone calls or send paper reminders. Now, UAS Properties alerts each household via text message. Recipients can make automatic payment within minutes. Additionally, before text marketing, UAS Properties received more than 150 daily calls about apartment availability. Now, depending on what they are qualified for, UAS Properties will automatically show them a number of available apartments via text. If none of the apartments are of interest, potential renters give UAS Properties permission to send ongoing SMS updates with new listings.
- Mean Girls: Situation, a digital-first marketing agency based in New York City, used SMS and MMS marketing to deploy targeted promotions in support of the new musical, MEAN GIRLS. During BroadwayCon, a three-day expo where fans meet and interact with their favorite Broadway stars, Situation transformed the restrooms into a scene straight from the musical. However, instead of scrawling gossip onto the bathroom mirrors, Situation encouraged visitors to text ‘FETCH’ to 797979. The result? The campaign became a viral hit on social media. After the event, Situation deployed a simple auto-reply, reminding conference attendees to reserve their Broadway tickets.
- Dominos: Founded in 1960, Dominos Pizza is a recognized leader in pizza delivery, operating a network of company-owned locations worldwide. Ryan Swanson, Area Director of Prairie Pizza, a Domino’s Pizza franchise, used SMS during UNC-Charlotte basketball games. “Most students are not going to jot down a website during a basketball game,” admitted Swanson. “But, taking a couple of seconds to send and receive a text with the URL of the group makes sense.” Roughly 10% of the 3,000 students attending the basketball games texted within a few minutes, and another 5% did so by the end of the night, resulting in nearly 600 opt-ins. By the end of the semester, the Facebook group had amassed nearly 2,000 fans, and more than 850 students enrolled in the franchise’s SMS marketing list.
How to Master Text Marketing for Your Business
As you can see, there are plenty of results-driven text marketing strategies that you can infuse into your own text marketing activities. Adopting these high-powered text marketing strategies will allow you to craft targeted and wildly compelling text marketing messages that your customers will absolutely love.
If you're just getting started with text marketing or you're already a seasoned veteran, we invite you to check out our free eBook: 9-Step Roadmap to Master Text Message Marketing.
We've helped more than 50,000 customers send over 4 billion text marketing messages. Our customers are the best-of-the-best when it comes to text marketing, and we've discovered a few key patterns that have helped our clients master text marketing. In this guide, we show you the nine steps all successful text marketers follow to become text marketing superstars. We can't guarantee text marketing success for your business, but we can give you an unfair advantage in the digital marketplace — download the eBook today!