By: EZ Texting
It's hard to believe that 46% of Americans would be willing to give up a day off work each week before they would be willing to give up their smartphone. Plus, 90% of all mobile users open and read text messages within the first three minutes of receipt. It’s no wonder why text message marketing is working so well for so many businesses.
The most significant benefits of creating a mobile marketing strategy include:
- Speed: An SMS message is 160 characters or less. This means that it doesn't take long to develop or to read. In a fast-paced world of short attention spans, this could give you a considerable advantage.
- Directness: People track their text message inbox multiple times in a single day. They usually check her messages as soon as a new one is received. By comparison, most email inboxes or only check once or twice a day and messages sent to a business are often filtered out automatically, manually, or mentally.
- Traceability: To ensure the success of any advertising campaign, you have to make sure that you're monitoring your metrics. When you're doing text message marketing, it's a lot easier to track. Most SMS marketing platforms are going to include tracking service with your plan. You will be able to view stats about texts sent, messages received, and overall up-to-date contact counts. You can find out when you have spikes in engagement. You can see the results, analyze the data, refine your approach and build a repeatable system to improve your profits.
If you haven't invested in text message marketing yet, and you still don't see the value, then keep reading before you miss out on the opportunity and your competitors get a leg up on you. Check out these text message marketing statistics and ignite your text marketing journey:
10 Top Text Message Marketing Statistics
- Texting is the most used mobile app; 97% of Americans use it at least once per day (source)
- 80% of people currently use texting for business (source)
- 92% of the U.S. population owns a mobile device capable of receiving SMS messages. (source)
- 68% of the U.S. population owns a smartphone. (source)
- 98% of the 18-29 age bracket owns a mobile device capable of receiving an SMS message. (source)
- Among the 18-34-year-old age bracket, text is the preferred channel for notifications from businesses. (source)
- 83% of millennials open SMS messages within 90 seconds of receiving them. (source)
- 75% of millennials prefer SMS communications for deliveries, promotions, and surveys. (source)
- 31% of consumers respond to SMS surveys, with an average response time of fewer than six minutes. (source)
- Consumers are more likely to open text messages before any other form of mobile communication. (source)
8 Immediacy and Delivery Statistics
- Text messages are opened and read almost 5 times more than email (98% to 20%) (source)
- 90% of all text messages are read within 3 minutes of being received (Dynmark, Mobile Intelligence Review: Edition 2, 2015)
- Morgan Stanley reported that 91% of Americans keep their mobile devices within arm's length at all times. (source)
- Cellphones and smartphones have become a mainstay in the lives of many Americans. (source)
- 62% of cell phone users check their devices for new messages immediately after waking up. (source)
- 79% of mobile phone users check for new messages within 15 minutes of waking up. (source)
- 48% of women check that they have their cellphone with them before leaving home. Only 26% check that they have their purse. (source)
- The average response time for a legitimate email is about 90 minutes, compared to 90 seconds for a text message. (CTIA.org)
16 Sales and Conversion Statistics
- Text messages have a response rate 8 times higher than email (45% to 6%) (source)
- Over 40% of online transactions are now done on mobile (source)
- 70% of smartphone users who bought something in a store first turned to their phone for information about a purchase (source)
- Over half of customers say they’d prefer texting with customer support and that texting is their preferred form of communication (source)
- Texting can convert the cost of a $20 support call to just pennies. (source)
- SMS marketing has been found to have a significant positive impact on brand awareness, and retailers can take advantage of this by communicating with customers for non-commercial purposes such as birthdays. (source)
- Nearly 2/3 of smartphone users are more likely to purchase from companies whose mobile sites or apps customize information to their location (source)
- One recent survey found that 60% of respondents appreciated receiving non-commercial messages. (source)
- Mobile searches related to “same-day shipping” have grown over 120% since 2015 (source)
- In-store on-demand coupons see a redemption rate of 70% - 80%. (source)
- Out-of-store on-demand coupons have a redemption rate of 30% -50% and drive customers to your business. (source)
- 35% of people who searched on their phone spent more than they expected in the store (source)
- 91% of smartphone owners purchased or plan to purchase something after seeding an ad they described as relevant (source)
- SMS produces engagement rates six to eight times higher than retailers normally achieve via email marketing. (source)
- 48% of Internet consumers said they would prefer to receive their loyalty-related messages via SMS. (source)
- Currently, 71% of online retailers are not addressing consumer communication preferences, according to OpenMarket research which polled 100 US-based e-tailers. (source)
6 Smartphone Usage Statistics
- Consumers now spend more than five hours a day on their smartphones. (source)
- In 2018, 52.2% of all worldwide online traffic was generated through mobile phones, up from 50.3% in the previous year (source)
- 57% of all US online traffic now comes from smartphones and tablets (source)
- 51% of customers say that they use mobile devices to discover new brands and products (source)
- 69% of smartphone users also say that they are more likely to buy from companies with mobile sites that easily address their questions or concerns (source)
- Worldwide, more people own a cell phone than a toothbrush. (source)
Get Started With Text Message Marketing
Hopefully, by now you can clearly see that there are a lot of benefits to text message marketing. People rely on their phones more than ever before. They shop on them, research information, and build connections with businesses, family, and friends. This provides a fantastic opportunity for businesses to be able to communicate with their audience in a way that is very natural and immediate.
It has higher open rates than any other channel, especially email. If your business relies on regular and fast communication with your audience, then you should absolutely invest in text message marketing to help grow your business. With EZ Texting you can get started in as little as 5 minutes. You do not need any special knowledge or technology to begin connecting with your contacts.
Plus, we're here to guide you every step of the way. We've sent over 4 billion messages and helped over 160,000 businesses grow.