42 Unbelievable Text Message Marketing Statistics That Will Blow Your Mind
It's hard to believe that 46% of Americans would be willing to give up a day off work each week before they would be willing to give up their smartphone. Plus, 90% of all mobile users open and read text messages within the first 30 minutes of receipt. It’s no wonder why text message marketing is working so well for so many businesses.
The most significant benefits of creating a mobile marketing strategy include:
Engagement: Reach your audience on the devices they carry with them everywhere — their cell phones. Text messages deliver real-time alerts and messages with push notifications, nearly instant open rates, and short response times. By comparison, most email inboxes are much more rarely checked and are often filtered out automatically, manually, or mentally.
Intimacy: In a sometimes impersonal world, personalization can mean everything. SMS marketing has been found to have a significant positive impact on brand awareness, and retailers can take advantage of this by connecting with customers by personalizing communications, such as wishing customers happy birthdays and anniversaries.
Reporting: To ensure the success of any advertising campaign, you have to make sure that you're monitoring your metrics. Text message marketing is easy to track — seamlessly view stats about texts sent, messages received, and overall up-to-date contact counts. You can also see when you have spikes in engagement so that you have the ability to analyze the data, refine your approach, and build a repeatable system to improve your profits.
If you haven't invested in text message marketing yet, and you still don't see the value, then keep reading before you miss out on the opportunity and your competitors get a leg up on you. Check out these text message marketing statistics and ignite your text marketing journey:
11 Top Text Message Marketing Statistics
- Texting is the most used mobile app; 97% of Americans use it at least once per day. (source)
- In 2020, 23 billion texts are sent a day — that’s 270K each second! (source)
- 80% of professionals currently use texting for business and about 70% of employees favor it for internal communications. (source)
- 96% of Americans own a cellphone that is capable of receiving SMS messages — and 81% own a smartphone. (source)
- 99% of the 18-29 age bracket — as well as 30-49 year-olds — own a mobile device capable of receiving an SMS message. 95% of 50-64 year-olds and 91% of 65+ own cellphones as well. (source)
- Among the 18-34-year-old age bracket, text is the preferred channel for notifications from businesses. (source)
- 83% of millennials open SMS messages within 90 seconds of receiving them. (source)
- 75% of millennials prefer SMS communications for deliveries, promotions, and surveys. (source)
- 31% of consumers respond to SMS surveys, with an average response time of fewer than six minutes. (source)
- Mobile internet has grown 504% in daily media consumption in just 7 years (source)
- Consumers are more likely to open text messages before any other form of mobile communication. (source)
8 Immediacy and Delivery Statistics
- Text messages are opened and read almost 138% more than email (98% to 18% open rate). (source)
- 90% of all text messages are read within 3 minutes of being received. (2019 Mobile Usage Report)
- Morgan Stanley reported that 91% of Americans keep their mobile devices within arm's length at all times. (source)
- 90% of cell phone users check their devices within 30 minutes of waking up. (source)
- 80% check their phones within 15 minutes of waking up. (source)
- 66% of American adults have nomophobia, the fear of not having their phone (source)
- 48% of women check that they have their cellphone with them before leaving home. Only 26% check that they have their purse. (source)
- The average response time for a legitimate email is about 90 minutes, compared to 90 seconds for a text message. (CTIA.org)
15 Sales and Conversion Statistics
- Text messages have a response rate 8 times higher than email (45% to 6%). (source)
- 51% of online transactions are now done on mobile — and that number is growing. (source)
- 70% of smartphone users who bought something in a store first turned to their phone for information about a purchase. (source)
- Over half of customers say they’d prefer texting with customer support and that texting is their preferred form of communication. (source)
- Texting can convert the cost of a $20 support call to just pennies. (source)
- People today have 2X the interactions with brands on mobile than anywhere else — that includes TV, in-store, direct mail, and all other channels. Every time a consumer has an awesome experience with a brand, it raises the bar. And SMS marketing is the most effective, seamless way to connect with clients. (source)
- 72% of consumers are more likely to sign up for a loyalty club through a text message. (source)
- Mobile searches related to “same-day shipping” have grown over 120% since 2015. (source)
- In-store on-demand coupons see a redemption rate of 78%. (source)
- Out-of-store on-demand coupons have a redemption rate of 30% -50% and drive customers to your business. (source)
- 70% of shoppers are influenced by discounts and 80% admit to purchasing a product due entirely to the received coupon. Text customers your coupons in the most attention-grabbing way with MMS images. (source)
- 91% of smartphone owners purchased or plan to purchase something after seeing an ad they described as relevant. (source)
- Mobile delays can impact conversion rates by up to 20%. Minimize customer frustrations by seamlessly speeding up connections with SMS 1-on-1 Chats. (source)
- SMS produces engagement rates six to eight times higher than retailers normally achieve via email marketing. (source)
- Currently, 71% of online retailers are not addressing consumer communication preferences, according to OpenMarket research which polled 100 US-based e-tailers. (source)
6 Smartphone Usage Statistics
- Consumers now spend more than five hours a day on their smartphones. (source)
- In 2019, as much as 52.6% of all worldwide online traffic was generated through mobile phones. (source)
- The average user will tap, swipe, and click their phone over 2,000 times a day — 2,617 times to be precise. Extreme users will touch their phone more than 5,400 times a day (source)
- As of 2020, Gen Z sends an average of 60 text messages per day. (source)
- 69% of smartphone users say that they are more likely to buy from companies with mobile sites that easily address their questions or concerns. (source)
- Worldwide, more people own a cell phone than a toothbrush. (source)
Get Started With Text Message Marketing
There’s a nearly infinite variety of benefits to text message marketing. People rely on their phones more than ever before. They shop on them, research information, receive time-sensitive alerts, and build relationships with businesses, colleagues, family, and friends. During the pandemic — and In a socially distant world — businesses and customers are looking to phones more than ever as a means to connect, procure safety advice, and even learn about new procedures and info such as opening hours, as well as curbside pickup and contactless delivery options.
SMS provides a fantastic opportunity for businesses to be able to communicate with their audience in a way that is very natural and immediate — with vastly higher open rates than any other marketing channel (especially email).
If your business relies on regular and fast communication with your audience, you should absolutely invest in text message marketing to help grow your business. With EZ Texting you can get started in as little as 5 minutes. You do not need any special knowledge or technology to begin connecting with your contacts.
Plus, we're here to guide you every step of the way. We've sent over 4 billion messages and helped over 160,000 businesses grow.