If you’re considering text marketing for your business or organization, know that it’s one of the most effective marketing tools available to marketers today. In fact, many of the most successful businesses and organizations prioritize mass text messaging over other marketing channels solely for the open rate and level of engagement it delivers.
However, when reviewing lists of SMS marketing statistics, it’s not unreasonable to think about the phrase popularized by Mark Twain: “There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.”
Sure, many text marketing statistics can be manipulated to suit the cause they represent. Additionally, the volume of statistics that support the effectiveness of text marketing can be overwhelming. Indeed, many of the marketing statistics listed below are supported by our own case studies.
The fact is, SMS marketing plays a vital role in any mobile marketing strategy. Not only does it have a broader reach than any other form of direct marketing, it uses an immediate and intimate communication channel that prospects and customers prefer.
SMS Marketing Statistics You Need to Know About
Here are the most important SMS marketing statistics that you should know.
The Most Important SMS Marketing Statistics
The most important text marketing statistics to know are that 92% of the U.S. population owns a mobile device capable of receiving SMS messages and that 68% of the U.S. population owns a smartphone. Notably, 98% of the 18-29 age bracket owns a mobile device capable of receiving an SMS message .
The percentage of the population owning a smartphone is increasing each year, any mobile marketing campaign that ignores SMS text marketing also currently ignores 24% of the population. That is the equivalent of 76 million potential customers. It is also relevant that:
- Among the 18-34 year-old age bracket, text is the preferred channel for notifications from businesses. 
- 83% of millennials open SMS messages within 90 seconds of receiving them. 
- 75% of millennials prefer SMS communications for deliveries, promotions, and surveys. 
- 31% of consumers respond to SMS surveys, with an average response time of less than six minutes. 
- Consumers are more likely to open text messages before any other form of mobile communication. 
Immediacy and Intimacy Statistics
In addition to its broader reach and the fact that it is the preferred channel of communication for consumers to receive business notifications, SMS text marketing benefits from an immediacy and intimacy not enjoyed by other forms of direct marketing. One has only to hear the ringtone of an incoming text message to reach for the mobile phone and see who’s reaching out.
Back in 2007, Morgan Stanley reported that 91% of Americans keep their mobile devices within arm's length at all times . This statistic was reinforced in a 2015 study conducted by the Pew Research Center  that concluded cellphones and smartphones have become a mainstay in the lives of many Americans. Other SMS marketing statistics regarding immediacy and intimacy include:
- 62% of cellphone users check their devices for new messages immediately after waking up. 
- 79% of mobile phone users check for new messages within 15 minutes of waking up. 
- 48% of women check that they have their cellphone with them before leaving home. Only 26% check that they have their purse. 
- The average response time for a legitimate email is about 90 minutes, compared to 90 seconds for a text message. 
As text marketing has developed, the ways in which businesses attract customers to their goods and services has also developed. Many more retail businesses are using in-store, on-demand coupons to drive sales from customers already on their premises, while other forms of SMS marketing have become more innovative.
SMS marketing has been found to have a significant positive impact on brand awareness , and retailers can take advantage of this by communicating with customers for non-commercial purposes such as birthdays. One recent survey found that 60% of respondents appreciated receiving non-commercial messages . More sales-related text marketing statistics include:
- In-store on-demand coupons see a redemption rate of 70% - 80%. 
- Out-of-store on-demand coupons have a redemption rate of 30% - 50% and drive customers to your business. 
- SMS produces engagement rates six to eight times higher than retailers normally achieve via email marketing. 
- 48% of Internet consumers said they would prefer to receive their loyalty-related messages via SMS. 
Start Text Marketing Today
If these text marketing statistics inspired you to learn more about SMS, we recommend partnering with an experienced SMS provider like EZ Texting. Our team will be happy to answer your questions or concerns. Additionally, we are well-equipped to point you towards text marketing success.
Additionally, we’ve prepared a simple playbook to help guide your text marketing journey. In this guide, we’ll show you the nine steps all successful text marketers take to maximize the effectiveness of their SMS campaigns. Are you ready to begin?
- 1 Pew Research Center - Technology Device Ownership
- 2 OpenMarket Millennial Datasheet
- 3 OpenMarket Millennial Datasheet
- 4 Mobile Marketing Watch
- 5 Business.com Mobile Marketing
- 6 OpenMarket/eDigital Research
- 7 Hubspot - Mobile Marketing Statistics
- 8 Pew Research Center - Mobile Etiquette Study
- 9 IDC/Handyman Marketing
- 10 IDC/Handyman Marketing
- 11 Influence Central
- 12 CTIA.org
- 13 Emerald Insight
- 14 SDL - Marketing Content Study
- 15 Mobile Marketing Watch
- 16 Mobile Marketing Watch
- 17 Retail Dive: Mobile Commerce
- 18 eMarketer
Photo: Unsplash/Chris Liverani